“(…) guest conductor Stéphane Denève’s incisive, well-conceived take delivered the punch in the gut Shostakovich surely intended. (…) Denève and Ehnes captured the manic spirit of the Scherzo, which felt constantly like it was about to spin out of control, with disorienting syncopations and jarring intrusions, such as a snatch of surreal calliope-like music. (…) The orchestra has no doubt performed Hector Berlioz’s “Symphonie fantastique, Op. 14,” dozens if not hundreds of times, but Denève made sure this version of the much-loved staple did not get lost among the rest. Displaying a keen rapport with the musicians, he led a fresh, involving performance, bubbling with the élan and effervescence one could expect of a French conductor. (…)”
Latest News & Reviews
- Stéphane Denève to Conduct 2020 Nobel Prize Concert 30 April 2020
- Authoritative French and Russian music from Denève and the SLSO 21 October 2019
- Denève, SLSO take audiences on a profound journey 7 October 2019
- SLSO musicians describe Stéphane Denève. 21 September 2019
- Stéphane Denève and the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra share additional details for the 2019/2020 season 12 September 2019
Sorry, we’ve still to update the site with Stéphane’s latest schedule. Please check back later.