“(…) The 42-year-old Denève is a rising star in classical music. He was recently named principal guest conductor of the Philadelphia Orchestra (Stokowski’s old group) and is now a regular presence with many of the great orchestras including the Los Angeles Philharmonic, with which he has turned in a series of impressive performances. Tuesday was no exception. (…) Using large, emphatic motions, Denève laid into the Stokowski arrangements like a bear to his breakfast. It didn’t seem as if the musicians of the L.A. Phil had any choice in the matter, but they responded enthusiastically. The playing was vivid and compelling. (…) One could justly call it a spectacular night at the Bowl, caveats notwithstanding, especially since Marc-André Hamelin was on hand for Beethoven’s “Emperor” Concerto. (…) With Denève supporting heartily, it sounded like victory.”
Latest News & Reviews
- Stéphane Denève to Conduct 2020 Nobel Prize Concert 30 April 2020
- Authoritative French and Russian music from Denève and the SLSO 21 October 2019
- Denève, SLSO take audiences on a profound journey 7 October 2019
- SLSO musicians describe Stéphane Denève. 21 September 2019
- Stéphane Denève and the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra share additional details for the 2019/2020 season 12 September 2019
Sorry, we’ve still to update the site with Stéphane’s latest schedule. Please check back later.