“(…) For his Philharmonic debut, he was impressive in Fauré’s “Pelléas et Melisande” Suite and even more so in the New York premiere of the Scottish composer James MacMillan’s Piano Concerto No. 3 (…) It was charming to see Mr. Denève, tall and imposing on the podium with wild curly hair, coaxing such subdued and refined playing from the Philharmonic for this lovely music, especially the mellow, warm string sound. (…) Before the performance of Mr. MacMillan’s concerto, completed in 2008 and first performed in 2011, Mr. Denève gave an engaging and helpful talk about the piece, with Mr. Thibaudet playing excerpts at the piano. (…) The performance was so exuberant and inspired it was impossible not to be swept up in the work, at least for the moment. (…) Mr. Denève brought a strong interpretive stance to the familiar Tchaikovsky Fourth. His reined-in tempos enhanced the weight and breadth of the piece. Climactic moments had brassy sheen and slashing power.”
Latest News & Reviews
- Stéphane Denève to Conduct 2020 Nobel Prize Concert 30 April 2020
- Authoritative French and Russian music from Denève and the SLSO 21 October 2019
- Denève, SLSO take audiences on a profound journey 7 October 2019
- SLSO musicians describe Stéphane Denève. 21 September 2019
- Stéphane Denève and the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra share additional details for the 2019/2020 season 12 September 2019
Sorry, we’ve still to update the site with Stéphane’s latest schedule. Please check back later.