“(…) Denève, who has conducted outstanding concerts locally with the New World Symphony, paced the score with attention to its long arc, never falling into the choppiness to which some performances succumb. In the melodic moments, the lustrous string sound that made this ensemble legendary was in full bloom. (…) Denève brought out the work’s 20th century spirit rather than linking it to Russian ballet music of the preceding era. The crashing chords heralding the enmity between the Montagues and the Capulets rang out fiercely, followed by Denève bringing the sound down to a mere whisper in an impressive demonstration of orchestral control. (…) The concert was a testament to the special artistic relationship between the terrifically gifted Denève and ‘the fabulous Philadelphians.’”
Latest News & Reviews
- Stéphane Denève to Conduct 2020 Nobel Prize Concert 30 April 2020
- Authoritative French and Russian music from Denève and the SLSO 21 October 2019
- Denève, SLSO take audiences on a profound journey 7 October 2019
- SLSO musicians describe Stéphane Denève. 21 September 2019
- Stéphane Denève and the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra share additional details for the 2019/2020 season 12 September 2019
Sorry, we’ve still to update the site with Stéphane’s latest schedule. Please check back later.