” (…) In fact, before Thursday, Feb. 18’s remarkably powerful concert in Davies Symphony Hall, the San Francisco Symphony had never even played the piece [Nielsen’s violin concerto]. So this performance, led by guest conductor Stéphane Denève with a formidable solo turn by violinist Nikolaj Znaider, was both a revelation and a rebuke. (…) After intermission, Denève introduced another, more recent work to the Symphony repertoire. “A Glimmer in the Age of Darkness,” composed in 2005 by the French compose Guillaume Connesson (…) Denève, who commissioned and premiered the piece, gave it a sensitive performance, with sweetly balanced playing by the orchestra. Music from Prokofiev’s ballet “Cinderella,” assembled into a suite by Denève, made an exhilaratingly tart palate-cleanser to end the evening.”
Latest News & Reviews
- Stéphane Denève to Conduct 2020 Nobel Prize Concert 30 April 2020
- Authoritative French and Russian music from Denève and the SLSO 21 October 2019
- Denève, SLSO take audiences on a profound journey 7 October 2019
- SLSO musicians describe Stéphane Denève. 21 September 2019
- Stéphane Denève and the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra share additional details for the 2019/2020 season 12 September 2019
Sorry, we’ve still to update the site with Stéphane’s latest schedule. Please check back later.