“(…) The Philadelphia Orchestra was always known for its sheer beauty of sound, and that was evident Wednesday. They were led by Principal Guest Conductor Stéphane Denève, who not only had magnificent conductor’s hair, but managed to control this thoroughbred stallion with compact but precise gestures — no dancing at the podium for him. (…) The Ravel was given an appropriately Gallic, neo-classic treatment. The orchestra glistened with clarity and restraint. Wind solos were outstanding (…) Now in Beethoven’s world, rhythmic precision and exuberant energy was the goal, and tone was a servant to that end. And, as with the French works, the orchestra played with one mind — no section, no player was dominant, but the balance was exquisite. (…) A memorable and delightful concert.”
Latest News & Reviews
- Stéphane Denève to Conduct 2020 Nobel Prize Concert 30 April 2020
- Authoritative French and Russian music from Denève and the SLSO 21 October 2019
- Denève, SLSO take audiences on a profound journey 7 October 2019
- SLSO musicians describe Stéphane Denève. 21 September 2019
- Stéphane Denève and the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra share additional details for the 2019/2020 season 12 September 2019
Sorry, we’ve still to update the site with Stéphane’s latest schedule. Please check back later.